In honor of my wedding anniversary this month I wanted to write a post about how beautiful it can be to celebrate and learn about your significant other's culture.

Some of the best memories that we share show how we celebrated each other's culture.

For example: Our Wedding Day

My husband and I had a beautiful small wedding on Kailua Beach in Hawai'i. While there in Hawai'i my then fiancee, his mother and his aunt were able to experience some of my Hawaiian culture.  This included the food, people, land and stories.

Lei in the Hawaiian culture can symbolize many things.  It is a symbol of love, respect, honor, peace etc.  In modern Hawaiian culture the Lei is used to celebrate people and show love for someone. That being said, of course lei played a significant role in my wedding.  The men involved in the wedding wore Maile Lei.  This is a lei that used to symbolize royalty.  In ancient Hawaiian times it was royalty who used the Maile Lei.  In modern Hawaiian culture it is often used in many types of celebrations including Weddings, Birthdays, and Anniversaries etc.

Picture
After the ceremony we all returned to my house in Hawai’i to celebrate and EAT! We had a variety of foods that are both ethnically Hawaiian and culturally adapted in Hawai’i.  As far as ethnically Hawaiian food we had Kalua pig, Poi and Poke. Other cultural Hawaiian foods included Chinese food, which is not exactly like food found in China.  Chinese food in Hawai’i has been adapted over the years to have some variations of traditional Chinese dishes.

Example 2: The Party

In relation to our marriage and celebrating our marriage I also had the chance to learn about my husband’s culture.

My mother in law and her cousin were gracious enough to throw a party in California (where we live) to celebrate our marriage with those who could not make it out to Hawai’i. In order to fully kick off the party my husband and I “Jumped the Broom.”  This was a way to pay homage to my husband’s ancestors and culture. Jumping the broom symbolizes sweeping away past wrongs, evils and/or bad spirits.  It symbolizes starting the marriage on a clean slate. This was such a great experience.  In fact we still have our beautiful broom hanging up in our Bedroom.  I’m so happy that we were both able to share our cultures with each other to start off our new lives together!

Picture
Fast forward to 2016…6 years later…

We have a little bit of both cultures hanging up in the house! In fact we have my husband’s Maile lei up on the mantle. We also have the very broom that we jumped over together hanging up in our bedroom.  Both items are great reminders of not only our wedding but also our commitment to each other.  They are reminders of where we both came from and how we have now merged our cultures to form a beautiful family together. And then there’s those 2 beautiful kids…how can you not love those beautiful faces (they must look like their Mom, just kidding babe *muah*).

Comments

11/08/2016 7:01pm

This post is very heart warming. I agree with what you said that one should understand and learn the culture of his or her spouse. Accepting your spouse as a whole means accepting her history, including the culture he or she came from. Keep the love burning in your marriage. I wish you all the best.

Noe Shurill
11/09/2016 9:05am

Thanks so much for the well wishes. It's great to hear that other people understand the importance of truly getting to know one's spouse.

06/19/2017 10:58pm

Congratulations for your beautiful family! Your children are adorable and lovable. Always be strong for them. No matter what happens, let them feel loved and secured. On the other hand, to your husband, always love him like its the last day of your life. Serve him with all your heart and submit to his authority. Show your undying support for him. I know the Lord will bless your family!

I think it is all a matter of love. The more you love a memory, the stronger and stranger it is. Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heartwarming! For me, what makes life enjoyable is having a shared culture and shared references.

Hauoli Hoopii
11/10/2016 8:35pm

Culture is very important and you both are doing a great job instilling it to your 2 cuties!

11/24/2016 4:47pm

Cultures and traditions are really part of someones life. It is a common courtesy that we should respect everybody's culture and tradition. When we are on a relationship we should know our partner's culture. It is very important that we know it, so that you can balance your relationship and you will know him/her more. Like this wedding, it is good to see that they respect each other's culture and tradition. They didn't compromise their own culture for the sake of one of them but instead they do both and respect each other and love each other more. Acceptance and respect are very essential in starting as a married couple.

01/10/2017 12:36am

My congratulations with your anniversary! With you love unlimited ;) And health to all your family members!

03/03/2017 8:41am

As the time passing by we left only a good memories in our head. You should make them a lot.

03/11/2017 1:01pm

Being attentive to tests as well as mistakes is actually the number of website owners have discovered to promote the products or services properly.Listed here are 3 techniques are actually effective within online marketing background.

Every are created to possibly extend the actual phallus or even improve blood circulation to the genitals.

03/12/2017 3:01pm

This works in order to relaxed your brain as well as market audio, relaxing sleeping.

03/14/2017 5:03pm

Furthermore, they have some other verified many like decreasing the chance of a few types of malignancy and also bone tissue health issues, reducing the actual amounts of poor cholesterol, and also managing our own blood sugar.

07/14/2017 5:48am

Orlistat is one of the popular weight loss solutions available online.

07/25/2017 4:42pm

Hello thanks for this article. very usefull. Benim site seks partner ve seks arkadaşlığı hakkında, detaylı herşeyi öğrenebilirsiniz.

09/19/2017 8:55am

Thanks for sharing your article. I really enjoyed it!