Picture
There’s so much that I have to say about this election but I’ve been on 2016 Election OVERLOAD for a long time so I will spare you all as well.

My election post is about how my daughter started to get interested in the election. Skye is a very bright 5 year old that has the memory of an elephant.  She forgets NOTHING! She’s also great at listening even when people don’t think that she is paying attention. Skye is truly like a sponge, just absorbing information like crazy. With that being said, she picked up on a lot of the names related to the 2016 election simply from having the news on in the background or seeing some of the debates. Of course Skye knew the two main contenders for the Presidential election.  As it got closer to Election Day Skye thought it would be fun to take “polls” at home of who we were all voting for.  It was cute to see her walk around with her little Doc Mcstuffins clipboard and tally the votes.  I was so proud to see that she had an interest in something as important as voting!

She and her class also had some discussions about the election. Skye brought home a cute pamphlet that they discussed in class that helped explain how voting works. They are Kindergartners so the example was very simple to show a “popular” vote on snacks. It showed 2 different simple snacks that a class had voted on.  They discussed which snack got the most votes to win.

Ever since my husband and I have been a couple we have gone to the polls together to vote.  We strongly believe in exercising our right to vote. This year we got the opportunity to take Skye with us. It was such an awesome experience, she was able to see how the process works. I felt great pride in setting a good example for her.

Picture
After voting I had some time with Skye before she had to be at school. As I was doing Skye’s hair she saw a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. She asked me: “Mommy, who is that?”

I said to her, “Skye this is a perfect day to ask that.” I went on to explain the very important role that he played in fighting for equal rights for all, including VOTING RIGHTS! It was one of those moments that was such perfect timing. One would have thought that I had planned it.

Later that night we had the election reporting on the TV.  Skye was very interested in all the numbers. She would ask questions like: “What state is that?” or “Who won that race?” She was also very confident that her favorite candidate was going to win. Several times she said, “I know my person is going to win!”

My hope is the Skye continues to show great interest in voting and the entire process. The younger generations are already showing changes in mentality and systemic desires. I want to be sure that Skye is educated, informed and in tune with those types of changes. I also hope that she may also contribute greatly to the discussions.

I leave you all with this quote:

“We but mirror the world. All the tendencies present in the outer world are to be found in the world of our body. If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.23 As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. This is the divine mystery supreme. A wonderful thing it is and the source of our happiness. We need not wait to see what others do.”
–Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

11/23/2016 1:03am

shrine

01/06/2017 11:29pm

Your daughter is really awesome with her being so interested in politics knowing she is just 5 years old. I bet that she will grow a clever, strong and independent woman. You are really blessed to have this kind of child. And I am sure that you are a great mother as well. Please continue to guide your children. I can see their potentials.

02/13/2017 5:54am

I personally believe that there are a lot of lessons that one can gain every election. It is when different point of views are being voiced out. Different opinions are formed, and new friendships grow. It is great to know that your daughter who is only 5 years old is interested in the election. I think that she will grow up to be a bright young individual who cares for her nation.

06/09/2017 5:03pm

I am not a fan of elections. How can racists have a chance to vote? They have a wicked twisted view of themselves. They are willing to see people of different color suffer. I will never understand this. I will never allow anyone to suffer yet if these people can vote and they happen to be large in number,we let them win. It's sick. For this reason, there should not be any election.

06/24/2017 6:53am

I am proud of you as I am also a mother and a citizen of country. We need to teach our kids early how much voting is important. We have to teach them that voting is our right and we should maximize it because here depends on what our future will look like. I admire your daughter for having such interest in voting and because not all kids are really interested with these topics. I hope that there will be lots of kids and parents, too who will appreciate and will be willing to learn and explain how important voting is and how it is done.

I think all the people get interested in the present election.This was the main source of talk between many of the people.Now the results are in front of all people and i think now they go on rest.

12/18/2016 8:01am

Skye's really smart girl. She's curious with everything that happens around her, including the US elections. I hope she would not lose that enthusiasm. In that way, she'll be aware of the realities of the world in a young age. I would also like to commend you for being a responsible parent to her and for patiently and wisely explaining things to her. Thanks for sharing this. I hope you'll write soon!

01/12/2017 3:05pm

A very surprising info! I never heard this kind of issue before. Thank you so much for informing!

01/24/2017 11:23pm

There are so many situations in our life which are very memorable for us. Some of them have a good lesson for us while some of them are very sad moment of our life in which we feel very alone.

01/30/2017 2:53am

Thank you, sir, what you write has made me more knowledge, improve my knowledge, I am very satisfied with what you are presented here.

02/09/2017 7:10am

Thank you very much for the info agan convey and hopefully useful to my friend who read it.
and for a friend who needs

03/05/2017 4:27am

ello sir, after I read the article you get to the bottom, It is very interesting to see, its content can provide benefits, and also the lessons, I really love it.

03/06/2017 10:12pm

05/09/2017 4:49am

05/15/2017 4:19pm

Whatever you wrote here, it's always good to read. Like it so much!

05/28/2017 5:03pm

Nothing to say but great web! I can get so many things from here. Thank you.

07/01/2017 6:48am

I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work