Picture
Since starting this journey I have gotten a lot of questions regarding the name of my blog. People would ask: "What does it mean?" Well let me explain what Polowaiian means and why I decided to name my  blog this.  Polowaiian is a cross between the words Popolo and Hawaiian.  Popolo is a term used in Hawaii to refer to someone of African or African American decent. Popolo is derived from the Hawaiian word for a medicinal plant bearing shiny black berries. Since I am Hawaiian and my husband is Popolo we call our family “The Polowaiians.”

Our family motto is: “Live Polowaiian.”
What does that mean? It means that we strive to live each day with an open mind. When you have an open mind you can always learn and appreciate knowledge. Not having an open mind leads to assumptions that could negatively affect your thoughts and actions. We also try to live with an open heart. We want to teach our children that when you open your heart and care for others your life is that much brighter. Even the smallest act of kindness can change a whole life. As a family we also want to have a strong foundation. Only with a strong foundation can you build great things. We start with our family of four. We support each other, love each other and learn from each other. Then we also include our extended family and cultural backgrounds. Both my husband and I come from large extended families. We are sure that our children learn who their family are and where we all came from. My children learn both my Hawaiian culture and my husbands’ African-American culture. We believe that knowledge is power and that starts with the knowledge of our cultural background and ancestors.

My husband and I believe that our multicultural family makes it easier to “Live Polowaiian.” Why you ask? Because our family foundation was built on our open hearts. My husband and I both come from very different places. But we both had open minds and open hearts which led us to each other. We were able to learn from each other and share our cultures and knowledge. We hope to promote all these things in every breath we take.

Sooooooo…..

-Live Polowaiian:  Live with an open mind, open heart and build on the foundations of family and culture.

Comments

11/27/2016 9:24pm

I love how you two came together and created this way of living for both you and your family. With the two of you from different backgrounds, you created a harmony that will be so beneficial for the two of you and your children as they grow. Great job!

03/01/2017 2:05am

I love and respect your motto. It speaks highly of how you want to live your family life. I think to live with an open mind and heart is quite challenging. It’s like giving every stranger an access to your privacy. But I don’t get me wrong about what I said. I believe there should be a little limitation on living an open mind and heart. Who knows it might not be applicable in some things you thought it would be.

06/20/2017 3:32pm

I like looking at beautiful couples like you. Seeing the love in your eyes makes me feel real good for not being envious but rather happy to be seeing happy souls in love with each other. I hope you stay that way. Your words so far have inspired a lot of readers to follow the same path. You are very kind to share your story with others.

11/27/2016 10:29pm

Wonderful post! I LOVE how you have embraced both of your cultures and heritages! What can be a battle ground for many couples has become the bonding ground for you guys. Live on Polowaiians!

11/29/2016 1:26pm

What a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing :)

12/19/2016 7:23pm

I'm impressed with the idea of naming your family as Polowaiian. The name you chose is very unique. It describes your family as one and how your family became one. Thank you for sharing this idea. I think I'm also gonna make a name for my little family like you did.

03/03/2017 8:38am

You have a great family. I wish you luck and happiness!

05/30/2017 10:36pm

GOD bless you both.

Amazing and happy family, stay blessed.

Keep sharing.

06/09/2017 1:15am

Nice post.

08/30/2017 12:53am

I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much.